Friday 20 January 2012

Folly Friday

It has been a long hard two weeks for all of our students, but even harder for Dell and I! We have managed to get every single students across all 3 courses and all years a tutorial, some have had two or three, and Del and I have touched base with almost everyone ourselves. There have been lots of smiles, lots of hard work and a lot of tears!! So much so that today one of my first year jewellers bought me a box of tissues for my office!!

But, it has been the most rewarding two weeks for all of us, as there has been so much progress made and now we have only a week or so before summative hand in.

Today, as suggested in the title, was Folly Friday. Every Friday from this week onwards Del and I will be in the workshops at Folly Lane, as this is where half our students live. Now more than ever, making is a priority and Del and I saw many students to help with technical advice. I was in small metals talking to all the students who are busily working away I their little spaces. I brought a big parcel of silver, enamels and other bits ( including tiny pestle and motors for our enamelling section) down for Bronwen, our workshop manager and in house jeweller. We spent some time pouring over the new stuff, I never get bored of ordering supplies, even if the are for someone else!!

Next, I spoke to the jewellers and small metalworkers. These images are of Amy and Bethan's work, we are almost there!

Beth is really getting into enamels and has produced companion pieces. Their relationship to each other is explored through colour.

Amy is exploring oversized findings. I'm really excited about the gold plate on these huge butterfly backs!!

It's been a great week, Del and I are dead on our feet and rather glad that tomorrow we can get some rest.

I look forward to what next week brings!

Have a great weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment